Friday, January 22, 2010

Red Weather

I googled catching tigers in red weather and found some very interesting interpretations of what this might mean. On the website knitandcontemplation.com, one reader thought that it was just a drunken dream that the sailor might be having and this might also reflect the alcoholism that Wallace Stevens suffered himself. Another very interesting explanation for this expression was that it was really referring to prostitutes and sex dreams. When reading this poem I do not see any evidence that this is what the sailor is dreaming about. She says that the sailor does not have a conscience and therefor is dreaming perverse dreams. I tend to lean with the first reader myself. Although I do not know much about Wallace Stevens' personal life, I think that since the sailor was drunk his dreams could very easily not make much sense and be jumbled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment