Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Araby

Many people say that they find Araby boring, but I think that is what makes it beautiful. Araby is a normal person living his normal life in his normal town and normal neighborhood. He is just like us. He reminds me of myself as a little girl. He has a crush on one of his neighbors and she is all that he can wrap his mind around to think about for any amount of time. When I was in elementary school there were boys that I had crushes on and I went through much the same thought process as the little boy in this story did. Sitting in class was impossible, going to bed without dreaming of the cute guy in my class was equally as difficult. And if we had a scheduled a "date" it was all that I could think about until the day finally came. Granted my lovers and I would never go to a bazaar, a movie was equally as exciting. I think that the boy felt that he was blown off when his date wasn't at the bazaar and he had traveled all that way for nothing. I can feel his pain. Everyone goes through their own heartbreaks. The first one is usually unexpected, but the boy had to go through this to grow and mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment