Monday, February 1, 2010

Smooth Talk

Wednesday, in class, we watched the movie "Smooth Talk" and compared it with the story "Where are you going, Where have you been?". I felt that the movie followed the book very well until the end, which many people were disappointed with. After giving some more thought to the movie however, I learned that the ending can be somewhat enjoyable. In the book I got the feeling that Arnold Friend was the Devil himself, going to take Connie to hell with him. The movie however, gave me a different perspective of him. I see him more as the force that takes away a woman's innocence. He could be anybody. He could be the boy that Connie was with the night before. He could also be another boy at school that Connie thought was attractive. He is whoever takes Connie's innocence. The fact that he appeared 40 makes sense since many view losing their virginity as something that makes you more of an adult that you were previously. She went into it as being very scared, but after it was all over she seemed more at ease and somewhat pleased.
Arnold Friend does not seem as evil to me anymore, but more of an initiation to growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment